SmartPak’s Ask the Vet: Saddle Fit, Colic Research, Rain Rot, and More!
[originally published in the September 2016 issue of Show Horse Today]
Questions answered in this episode:
1. How do you soothe itching for a horse who is sensitive to bug bites?
2. What are some guidelines for when I should ice my horse, and should the hind leg be iced the same as the front? I feel like I see far less hind leg icing.
3. What are some behaviors you might see in a horse who is uncomfortable with the way their saddle fits? If your saddle doesn’t fit is it bad to get a thicker pad or is it better to get a new saddle?
4. My friend’s horse has passed away due to colic. Is there anything new for colic in horses out there that can save their lives? Also, how far along are vets in research in finding more cures for colic?
5. I recently started riding a horse for my trainer that has rain rot. His skin is a total mess and there’s no arguing with that, but I feel like people often call any skin issue “rain rot”. What really is rain rot and how do I fix it?
Lydia F. Gray, DVM, MA SmartPak Staff Veterinarian and Medical Director Dr. Lydia Gray has earned a Bachelor of Science in agriculture, a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), and a Master of Arts focusing on interpersonal and organizational communication. After “retiring” from private practice, she put her experience and education to work as the American Association of Equine Practitioner’s first-ever Director of Owner Education. Dr. Gray continues to provide health and nutrition information to horse owners through her position at SmartPak, through publication in more than a dozen general and trade publications, and through presentations around the country. She is the very proud owner of a Trakehner named Newman that she actively competes with in dressage and combined driving. In addition to memberships in the USDF and USEF, Dr. Gray is also a member of the Illinois Dressage and Combined Training Association (IDCTA). She is a USDF “L” Program Graduate and is currently working on her Bronze Medal.