Three Days Left for 2012 Charitable Donations
The year-end holidays inspire many people to reach out to those who are less fortunate. Less altruistically, but still just as important, donors need to make their end-of-year giving decisions by December 31 in order to qualify for a tax deduction in this calendar year. As a result, donations to charities increase between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. The charities themselves advise just how important year-end gifts are to their bottom line noting that, on average, more than 40% of their total annual contributions from individuals is received at year-end. But remember, popularity of a charity does not make it more effective, or more worthy of your support.
While there are many organizations that do a great job reviewing and analyzing charitable organizations, here are two independent organizations you may choose to make time to visit and conduction your own research: Charity Watch and Charity Navigator.
When it comes to financial investments, diversification is the key to reducing risk. The opposite is true for philanthropic investments. If you’ve really taken the time to identify a well-run charity that is engaged in a cause that you are passionate about, you should then feel confident in giving it a donation. Spreading your money among multiple organizations not only results in your mail box filling up with more appeals, it also diminishes the possibility of any of those groups bringing about substantive change as each charity is wasting a percentage of your gift on processing expenses for that gift.
Following are a few helpful tips and guides for giving:
- What are the top rated charities?
- Best Practices of Savvy Donors
- Tax Benefits of Giving
- Giving Calculator
- Seven Questions to Ask Charities Before Donating
- Debunking Charity Salary Myths
- Top Ten Lists – Navigate the Crowded Charity Marketplace
At DeGraff Stables, our annual Charity Program is now in its third year. We couldn’t make these donations possible without the support of our stallion owners! We wish to thank Ironwood Acres – owners of Frosty The Goodbar, Seabreeze Pleasure Horses – owners of Hes A Cool Hotrod and Hot Lopin Sensation, Wilson Paint Horses – owners of Invite The Artist and Pryor Ranch – owners of PR Tells A Tale, the HBF Iron Man Partnership – owners of HBF Iron Man, who join our DeGraff Stables owned DGS IndyGo, DGS Vestastic and Indian Artifacts to donate breedings to the many futurity programs that help fund show prize funds for the pleasure horse industry.
To participate in our DeGraff Stables Charity program, advise us which stallion you have chosen to breed to and which futurity program you would like to support. We will help you purchase the breeding from the chosen association and we will donate $100 of the $250 booking fee to the DeGraff Stables Charity in the month which you booked. We will provide the donation in your name to the selected charity. You may also choose to match the donation, as many have.
Here is the list of our selected charities:
- December – The Jimmy V Foundation – 100% of the Funds Support Cancer Research
- January – Horse Tales Literacy Project – Focuses on Promoting Literacy Through the Winning Combination of Live Horses and Classic Horse Literature
- February – The National Military Family Association – 85% of Donations Support Issues Such as Comprehensive Child Care, Health Care, Schools, Retirement & Support for Widows and Widowers
- March – the Pony Club – Enriches Riders and Leaders of Tomorrow
- April – Make A Wish Foundation – Grants the Wishes of Children with Life-Threatening Medical Conditions
- May – US Para Equestrian Program – Provides Clinic and Competition Opportunities for Athletes with Physical Disabilities
- June – Big Brothers Big Sisters – Child Mentoring Network
Please feel free to call our office 859.846.5000, Robin DeGraff’s cell 419.573.9098 or email Robin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Robin and DeGraff Stables