Western States Horse Expo Rides Again June 7-9
As attendees flow through the gates on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, June 7-9, 2013, they’ll quickly choose which direction to head. Whether it’s wandering aisles and aisles of shopping for everything imaginable in the horse world, or assessing trucks, horse trailers, clinician demonstrations, lectures, the Ultimate Super Horse Challenge, Equine Dream Art Show and Sale, The Book Corral, Young Rider Park, or food booths where we eat those yummy items we forgive ourselves for once a year — the Horse Expo has literally hundreds of choices for education, entertainment, and shopping thrills.
A highlight of this year’s expo is for the recreational rider and those who like competing on the trail. The Expo’s Trail Symposium provides useful and practical information on horse camping, access to trails, packing, and other topics pertinent to the fun and rewards of recreational riding. For those who like to strike a long trot on the trail, notable speakers from the endurance riding world, Ride & Tie, and ACTHA will lend their expertise to the audience. If you’ve ever considered taking your horse into competition on the trail, check out the various opportunities and ask these experts all about their sports.
On Sunday, bring your checkbook (and your horse trailer) — the all-day horse sale will undoubtedly catch your attention as magnificent and talented horses are paraded before you. These horses are carefully selected and on display all three days. From mares and foals to finished stock horses and trail horses, the quality of these animals is remarkable.
Tradition continues when the Magnificent 7 stock horse competition takes place during the day on Thursday (free admission), with finals highlighted Friday night. The best-of-the-best riders put their faith and trust in their horses to perform a reining pattern, fence work, cutting, and roping. These are the horses that literally do it all with incredible athletic flair. The finals on Friday night are always breathtaking, and the sparkling California Cowgirls drill team presentation will get you stomping your boots in appreciation.
Magnificent draft horses, brought to the Expo by the famous Nevada County Draft Horse Classic, will cast their enormous shadows again this year, as these gentle giants strut their stuff, making the ground shake and rumble and prompting you to cheer and whistle.
Of course everyone is attracted to the headliners, and with good reason. “We’ve had 15 years of experience now,” reports WHSE President and Founder Miki Nelsen, “and we know what people want and who they want to see as headliners. This year we’ve rounded up an incredible group that covers just about every topic in the horse world. >From starting colts to competing at top level in various disciplines, these famous clinicians love sharing their knowledge, wisdom and how-to. And our attendees get all of this for only the gate fee of $18! Many of these clinicians charge $75 a day just to watch a clinic, and here at the Expo you can see them all for less than a 20-dollar bill!”
This year’s line-up includes:
- Chris Cox will present Rider Confidence, Horse Trailer Loading and Advanced Refinements
- Jonathan Field will present phases of guiding the student on a journey to success with horses
- Charles Wilhelm, creator of Ultimate Foundation Training that combines the best of traditional, classical and natural horsemanship, will present the Ultimate Super Horse Challenge
- Kerry Kuhn, winner of numerous colt starting competitions and developer of the Practical Horsemanship program, will demonstrate three days of ongoing colt starting
- Dick Pieper, NRHA Futurity Champion, NRHA Hall of Fame, cutting champion, AQHA champion, creator of The Language of Horsemanship program, will demonstrate the art of Reining
- Deb Bennett, PhD, who over decades contributed articles on equine conformation to Equus Magazine, will lecture on equine anatomy and physiology
- Sandy Collier, NRCHA and AQHA champion and the only woman winner of the Snaffle Bit Futurity, will demonstrate cow horse skills
- Nancy Loving, DVM, author of numerous books about horse health, will discuss how to prevent physical and metabolic issues with the equine athlete
- Tim Kimura, trail class expert, will present winning tips for this popular event
- Sabine Rijssenbeek from the Netherlands, an accomplished dressage coach and competitor, will demonstrate the refinements of dressage
- Leslie Berndl, Olympic level driving expert, will address all forms of competitive driving including dressage, cones and cross country
- Marvin Pierce will demonstrate with his cow dogs, working dogs and ranch partner dogs, and will talk about all-around well-behaved canines
- Carmi Weininger is a saddle fitting expert who has a flair for explaining the importance of saddle fit while the horse is standing, under saddle and in motion
The Expo’s Equine Dream Art Show and Sale reflects the lifestyle and passion people have for horses. Prices for the art are reasonable, and there is an array of mediums from water color, sculptures, and oils to jewelry.
This year’s Young Rider Park will focus on 4-H and Pony Club programs where parents can learn about what these groups have to offer. Projects, like making horse cookies and painting horseshoes, will keep the younger crowd occupied. Each day will also be filled with visits from clinicians and from authors who will read to the young cowboy and cowgirl hopefuls. A petting zoo complements the Young Rider Park.
The Book Corral is a marvelous universe of authors and their creations, punctuated with informal talks from many of them. The authors are pleased to chat with Expo attendees and will gladly autograph their books. From the famous to the will-be-famous, these authors have a depth of stories to share.
The breed demonstrations are great fun to watch, resplendent with polished horses and riders in costume. Learning about various breeds is part of the educational purpose of the Expo, and what could be better than to watch the horses exhibit their talents and to talk with owners, breeders and handlers about the characteristics of each breed.
Be sure to visit your local tack and feed stores for Expo Bucks, a $3 discount on gate admission.
For more information about the 15th Annual Western States Horse Expo, visit www.horsexpo.com or call 800.352.2411.